Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Aa is for Apple


I am pretty behind on my blogging and keep being tempted to quit, but i really want to blog each unit for my own sake to keep record of what we did. So... here it goes :o)
Our apple unit was delicious! I really wanted to go apple picking, but because of a freeze in April there were no local apples. Sad stuff! We still did a lot of fun activities outside of our regular school stuffs.

We went to the grocery store and lij helped me pick out a few different kinds of apples. We used these to make apple graphs,  

discussed and organized by largest/smallest, first/last,


read books about apples and practiced apple stacking, 


Explored the 5 senses with apples,

we had a taste test to compare and contrast the textures and flavors,

and made fun apple snacks including apple crisp (not pictured), apple sandwiches, apple muffins, apple sauce, and apple sugar cookies.





I filled a bag with different fruits and had lij feel around without looking to guess what he felt and to compare/contrast the items without looking.

 

We also made apples to hang on our tree and he made an apple tree by tracing his hand.

We also learned about Johnny Appleseed, the Fruits of the Spirit, and all about tally marks for counting.

In the middle of the unit, we got to have our awesome nephew come stay with us for a few days. I decided to pause the apple unit and do a few random things instead. We learned about Daniel and the Lion's Den and all about lions and we also learned all about fire (and a little bit of gun) safety and worked on patterns.
 

I LOVE all the Clifford and Let's Find Out papers I have from my mom. I finally got them organized and as soon as I decide on a subject I want to teach about, i pull out a few of these and I have a lesson ready. I highly recommend looking into getting them if you are homeschooling and can do it.


The boys and I went on a walk and I found this leaf that looked like fire.

The boys spent a lot of time playing in the yard and eating outside. I LOVE seeing my kids enjoying nature. So wonderful. I also love when they make silly faces...


I was super proud of my son for saving up his money to buy Legos, his current obsession! He was so proud of himself, which made me even more proud. :o)

Hansi was proud, too.

All 5 kids together in Nashville :o)


My sister and I threw a personal shower for a friend and it was BEAUTIFUL. We did it outside on her deck in the evening and it was too dark to get good pictures, but this gives an idea of how lovely it was. 
We had wine, warm cider, chocolates, cheeses,  and other lovely foods.
                                      
                                      
                                                             Mmmmmmmm, cheese!
                                      















No comments:

Post a Comment